Questions and Answers
Your Questions About X11 Mac
What is the best gaming headset?
I primarily play FPS on the Xbox 360, but I play various games on my computer as well so I need something compatible with both. Surround sound would be great, too. I checked out the Turtle Beach X11 + Ear Force DSS and the X41, but it seems as though people recommend Razer, Sennheiser, and Steelseries. What is the best headset out there without spending more than $150?
You must be talking to a lot of people with bad hearing if they’re recommending those brands over Turtle Beach. Same goes for Astro and Tritton, they just don’t sound or perform NEARLY as well as Turtle Beach headsets do.
For $150, I’d suggest the Turtle Beach DPX21. You get AWESOME bass, great highs, a nice mic… Plus bass boost, chat boost, microphone monitoring, stereo expander and Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound. Can’t beat ‘em!
Oh yeah, they’ll work on your XBox 360, your PS3 or your PC or Mac. Really nice and versatile plus great features and amazing sound.
Is GIMP a good alternative to Photoshop?
I was looking at Photoshop and this appeared on the side. It says that it is a good alternative to Photoshop. Is it really that good? Will it cause any problems on my computer? I would like to know if anybody have used it instead of or after/before Photoshop.
Gimp is ok, if you want basic editing for personal use, good for touch-ups and artwork,
you can try it , make sure you get correct version, and gtk is included for win, and x11 for mac,
Gimp ~image editor,
Plugin Registry GIMP
UFRaw -for Gimp
Photoshop alternatives could be Elements, Paintshop photo, or Photostudio, and ACDSee,
Adobe Photoshop Elements
Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3
ACDSee Photo Editor
Artwork alternatives could be …
?????????????????????… And many others
How do I run Gimp on my macbook?
Ok so I just downloaded gimp on my Mac OSX Leopard and it said it was successfully downloaded, how do I run it, if I search it in my file all that comes up are a lot of files, HOW DO I RUN GIMP I NEED SIMPLE STEP BY STEP DIRECTIONS!! PLZ HELP ME!!
Once you download installer, run file to install / unzip dmg file,
Gimp on my mac~ Leopard
requires X11 if not already installed before Gimp,
Is there a way to download GIMP for a Mac without having to compile the program yourself?
If not, would anyone know how to do it step by step off of download.com?
You will need to install X11 from your install disks first before installing GIMP, downloading it from Apple’s site won’t work.
GIMP for Mac OS X
Click the GIMP-2.2.11.dmg to download
what is wrong with my new macbook pro?
i logged on like normal and then this x11 thing came up. The wallpaper that i had was not there anymore and the top menu is blurry. have any idea what it is or what i should do?
“what i should do?”
Answer: Remove the software you installed before the restart.
If you can’t remember what you installed, do this….
– Restart holding the shift key for 45 seconds.
– Log in.
– Remove “Login Items”. How? Tell me what OS version you are using.
X11 is the 11th protocol version of the X windowing environment, a secondary OS interface that can run many UNIX apps that are not compatible with OS X. An example of this type of app is GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program). If you launch any X app, the X11 environment also opens. If any X11 app is included in Login Items (or in any of three other launch areas of the base UNIX system behind OS X), you will see X11.
Tell me what OS version you are using. Go to the Apple menu > About This Mac.
What’s the better software to buy to run windows apps on a mac?
Crossover is a program that utilizes the functions of X11 (In the Utilities folder) to run .exe script in the OSX environment. Honestly, I have not had too much success with it, but I would definitely give it a try. Another alternative is to just create a 32gb partition on your hard drive and install windows onto it where the program could run in a native environment.
Is there a program better then Photoshop thats free ?
I do a lot photo editing and like to know if there’s a program that actually better then photo shop that’s free ..
The only good free photo editing software I know of is Gimp. I don’t know of anything that is better or as good as Photoshop.
This is just a handful of differences between Gimp and Photoshop that I found in only a few hours of playing with Gimp. I’m sure if I wanted to continue playing with Gimp, I will find plenty more.
Gimp is a good image editor. It’s a big plus that it is free. However, don’t let yourself believe that it is as good as photoshop. It’s not even close. If you don’t want to spend $700 on Photoshop or $99 on Photoshop Elements, and you don’t need the high-end features of Photoshop, then Gimp is a great choice for you. It will handle any task that a typical amateur throws at it.
1) Gimp does not support 16 bit color. 16 bit images will be converted to 8 bit without warning the user.
2) Gimp supports 8 bit RBG, grayscale, and indexed color modes. Photoshop supports 8, 16, and 32 bit RRG, grayscale, LAB, and multichannel.
The indexed color mode that gimp supports is a means of reducing the number of colors to 256 or lower prior to saving the image at a GIF. The is much like the same option within Photo’s “Save For Web” feature, except Gimp does not allow the user to see the effects until after they have been applied. Additionally, if you don’t convert the image to indexed color mode prior to saving it as a GIF, Gimp uses a default setting that you may or may not like.
3) Gimp does not support adjustment layers. In photoshop, you can create an adjustment layer to apply Brightness/Contrast, Level, Curves, Exposure, Vibrance, Hue/Saturation, Color Balance, Black & White, Photo Filters, Channel Mixer, Invert, Posterize, Threshold, Gradient Maps, and Selective Color adjustments that happen within a layer instead of the image itself. This means you can change those adjustments later. These adjustments do no damage the image. In Gimp, you have to make those adjust to the image itself and cannot change or remove them. Better get it right the first time.
4) Gimp has a healing brush, but compared to Photoshop’s healing brush, it not very good. The healing brush should copy the texture without changing the color. Gimp’s healing brush shows a color shift overtime I used it.
5) Gimp does not allow the user to resize and crop an imaging in one operation using the crop tool. Photoshop has allowed this since at least version 5.0.
6) Gimp comes with a Camera Raw import plug-in that works well with the Raw images from my Canon. It has a fraction of the options that Adobe Camera Raw plug-in comes with, including about 10 that I use every time I import a Raw image.
7) This is one a bit subjective. The Macintosh version of Gimp is not a native Mac application. It runs within X11, so it does not behave like a “normal” Macintosh application. One of the many advantages the Mac has over Windows and Linux is the high degree of consistency is the way applications look and behave. Gimp’s interface takes some getting used to if you are running it on a Mac.
How can I see files stored in an ipod?
I have XP at home and I used Windows media player to store some files in my Ipod nano, I want to see those files in my computer at work which uses win98 and WMP 9, but it doesn’t detect that there is a new driver when I connect the nano, how can i see these files?
I can’t install itunes in win98
I’m a Mac user, so not sure if my answer will help, but, on your computer at home (or the one that you used to put the files on the ipod nano) be sure that Enable Disk Use is checked, should be in itunes.
If the nano still doesn’t show up on your work pc, then try restarting the pc, with the nano plugged in. If that doesn’t work, then you might have to install itunes onto your work pc. Another option is if you know how to use the CMD??? Command line feature. On my Mac, I would either use Terminal or X11
Can the regular version of GIMP be downloaded to an external hard drive?
I am just starting to use GIMP.
My computer is old and does not have anymore room to add any programs. I will be getting a new computer in a few months.
I have been using GIMP portable on a flash drive for now.
I want to be able to use the regular version GIMP.
Can I download the regular version of GIMP to an external hard drive and use it?
As you say you have older computer, depending on how old, the newer versions may not work well, if computer is within last five years, then you may be ok, if very old, then you may be safer to try older version of gimp,
you can download actual Gimp program, on any drive, and use from that drive, as long as system recognizes that drive, and required GTK and / or X11 libraries are on same drive or added while gimp on drive is attached to system, external drive is like a partition, or added memory device,
GIMP -Linux/ Win/ Mac
GTK+ – Download for Windows
older versions of Gimp for Windows
Powered by Yahoo! Answers